--GET MY BOOKS AT AMAZON--

GET MY BOOKS AT AMAZON

Translate

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spice for Life - Turmeric


Did you know that Turmeric has been used for more than 2,000 years to treat a wide range of illnesses? It's no wonder  since it even ranks as  somewhat of a  superstar of spices in our modern times.

Turmeric has over 50 healing actions that many use to treat a vast host of illnesses. It owes it's curative and preventive powers to curcumin it's active ingredient, a compound powerfully rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities.

International human and animanl studies have shown Turmeric to be effective in combating over 70  diseases including Alzheimer's, type 2 diabetes,  heart disease, 22 different types of cancer, cholesterol bad LDL, acne, allergies, asthma, blemishes depression, gout, liver disease, macular degeneration, overweight, pain, stroke, inflammatory bowel disease and the list goes on. In most recent years is has been seen  available as a dietary supplement at many physicians offices here in the U.S.

Even though you may think of Turmeric as a spice used only in Eastern Indian cuisine, you may find it interesting to know that it is used in many American foods such as pickles, yellow cake, popcorn, mustard, canned chicken broth, butter and margarine, etc.  It is also  used in many other cuisines around the world, as well.

Many recommend a 500 mg capsule of  Turmeric daily as a dietary supplement, as well as, incorporating it into your  diet regularly. If you are using it to cook with it pairs well these other ingredients:

Allspice                             Black Pepper
Cinnamon                         Caraway
Coconut                            Cardamon
Cumin                              Corriander
Fennel                              Garlic
Ginger                              Mustard Seed
Onion                               Tomato
Cucumber                         Rice
Vegetables                        Lentils      
Soups, Stews & Chili           Cilantro

If you are interested in knowing more about the beautiful yellow spice Turmeric, you can do an internet search to find more information about it. There are also many books available in print devoted to the subject of healing spices where you can find more information about Turmeric and the health benefits of it and other spices.


*Disclaimer--- This article is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease of any kind.






 

11 comments:

  1. Mmm tumeric rice! :D delicious with a bit of homemade non-fat curry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even sure I have tumeric on my spice shelf! I'll have to go look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband uses it in his recipes all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom's mustard pickles have Tumeric - and they are my favorite pickles! I've also read that tumeric is used as a natural dye for fibers too!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting post! I don't think I've ever used tumeric but will definitely have to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cook with tumeric all the time. It's great to know a bit more about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never actually have tried tumeric in anything! I have so many spices I've never even tried (nor knew what to do with them). Quite interesting!

    Krystal - http://bellystickers.blogspot.com/
    Following from promotional frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tumeric! My spice cabinet is overflowing its crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great information. I have some on my shelf but never used it... I'll be looking for recipes to use it now! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating, I sent the link to my bf because he likes using it in Indian dishes. Now he can feel justified adding EVEN MORE while cooking. yummm

    ReplyDelete

*********************************************************

Search This Blog