--GET MY BOOKS AT AMAZON--

GET MY BOOKS AT AMAZON

Translate

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

RePurpose, ReUse, ReCycle

     Take a second look at your trash pile and explore ways to save items. Its surprising how many old, broken or unused items can be brought back to new life with a little imagination and a little elbow grease.

     For instance, I found  the charming old kitchen cabinet in the above photo ready to  be burned as waste. Many would view this old cabinet  as "only"  burnable, expecially in the ugly condition it was in when I found it.  It was a disgraceful green color and really very unbecoming to any decor.

      I couldn't bear to see it destroyed so I took it home  to see if I could spruce it up a bit. In basically one afternoon --- I painted it inside and out with a creamy off white semi-gloss, then when it was dry a coat of walnut gel stain was applied  over the entire piece. Once dried, it  just glowed with charm  showing off all of the distressed cracks and chips.

      Since my home really lended no space in which to show it off, I decided to offer it for sale at my up and coming garage sale. This repurposed, reused and recycled antique cabinet that was formally headed for destruction, was all the rage at my sale. There were several people  in a bidding war just to buy it. I was shocked and amazed but really happy that it would have a new great home for many years of enjoyment to come.

      Please email  a photo of your repurposed, reused or recyled projects to--   uniquecozytreasures@gmail.com    We may feature your item in an upcoming issue.

15 comments:

  1. That cabinet is great! Such character. Glad you rescued it and it found a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really made something special out of that cabinet. What a great find. I wish I had an eye for that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old kitchen cabinet came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow a bidding war for something that was almost tossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is great....love to see things repurposed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the cabinet! I sometimes repurpose items for my jewelry and am always very happy with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of work goes into some of these items. Yours turned out really well. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cabinet (no wonder they were warring over it!) And love the idea of repurposing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, sounds like such a great idea! I'd love to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas... it is always good to try to recycle/upcycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when people upcycle. I have no talent for furniture, but I sometimes buy older jewelry pieces and upcycle the beads int new designs.

    ReplyDelete

*********************************************************

Search This Blog