--GET MY BOOKS AT AMAZON--

GET MY BOOKS AT AMAZON

Translate

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

UPDATE ON BABY ROBIN STORY



Just an update on the Baby Robin Story from a couple weeks ago.

He has grown by leaps and bounds and is now flying like a pro. He's the bird on the left.  I didn't realize until now that these little baby birds rely heavily on their parents to continue bringing them food for sometime even after they have learned to  fly.

I can hear him every morning and several times throughout the day chattering to his momma for another worm. Yes, he has at least graduated to eating whole worms now, but he is at his mother's tail all day long following her wherever she hops or flys in the yard.

He has a very destinctive chirp when he wants another worm so I always know when he is out in my yard, so I enjoy watching him. I've noticed that he is also learning bird language and calls too.

Here is a short video of him chasing his mom around my yard. It's so cute and really funny.


Apparantly his other two sibling didn't make it from the nest. I think the black birds that were terrorizing them must have killed them, as I did see a couple of them sitting up on the nest one day. The black birds seem to like making life miserable for other birds and even squirrels in the neighborhood.  They chase after other birds  trying to grab their worms and love to chase and dive bomb the squirrels while they are sitting happily on a tree limb.

Maybe this little robin was smarter than I thought and jumped from the nest to get away from the black birds. He seems to be able to squawk loud enough to chase them off.

Anyway, I'm enjoying watching him grow and am glad I was able to help give him a chance to survive!

23 comments:

  1. how sweet to these these birds grow up and fly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute story and video. The blackbirds really are so aggressive! We used to have swallows and the blackbirds would push their eggs out of the nest and put their own there for the mother swallow to tend instead of her own. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right that he was the smart one to jump out of the nest to avoid the blackbirds! Nice to see he's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure to be able to see these birds interact and the baby grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol the video is wonderful. I feel like that momma bird some days...just minding my own business with the little birds following close behind. So glad that you were able to help give this little guy a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to be able to watch this little bird grow and learn. I'm so glad he made it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't know that about the mama birds continuing to feed their offspring. It's wonderful that they continue to revisit you. I think you have made a friend for life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful story....hope this little guy grows up to be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, that video was too cute! What a nice little story, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that he is doing so well! thanks for updating us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story and reminder to just stop and enjoy the simple things. We have all sorts of baby squirrels running around right now, should get some pics. Thanks for sharing, even if the Black Birds are being bad.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet to get to watch him grow up. We used to have birds that nested on our porch light. Then it would burn out and my husband would refuse to change it because he didn't want to disturb the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I live in a city this is incredible for me at the window, how lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Larger birds do raid the nests of smaller birds. Sometimes for the eggs, sometimes for the babies. It's heartbreaking, but part of the wild . It's just part of the wild kingdom.

    Yesterday I had a squirrel after Robin babies in the tree next to my window. I chased it off, but the babies had fledged prematurely and did not yet know how to fly. They were in the yard and driveway, but later made their way back into the spruce tree where they hung out on the lower branches and the parents brought food to them.

    I love watching birds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a funny video nd a sweet post...well, except the ones that didn't make it. We had some fall from ahigh nest. It was sad. But now we have some more eggs in a new nest. Hopefully these make it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great update! I love those stories! It is nice to follow this little birdie story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story! Keep us up to date on baby robin before he/she flies off to start their own family! ;>)

    marilyn

    ReplyDelete

*********************************************************

Search This Blog