Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Natural Mosquito Repellent Tips
Are you a MOSQUITO MAGNET? I am. So like me, If you do not care to indulge in spraying yourself down with chemicals to repel those biting pests, you may find these tips to naturally repel mosquitoes very helpful and interesting.
Mosquitoes hate the smell of citrus like, lemon or orange, lemon grass, marigold, and lavender.
1) Before trekking outside eat something containing lemon oil. Or, take a small bite of a lemon wedge. Yes, it's sour, but it's worth it, isn't it? Rubbing a bit of citrus peel on your skin may also work, but messy.
2) Or, Rub your hands through one of your Marigold, lemon grass or lavender plants, then rub your hands over your arms, legs and any exposed skin.
3) And, Avoid sugary foods and drinks before and while you are outside. Mosquitoes love sugar and they can smell it in your skin making you a magnet for bites.
4) Avoid wearing sweet perfumes, hairsprays, etc. which tend to attract pesky insects like mosquitoes, flies and bees.
5) Make mosquito repellent candles using vintage canning jars, then placing them in strategic areas of your yard. This works great when you are having outdoor gatherings and parties. I simply place either some sand or potting soil into the bottom of a vintage canning jar, add one of my handmade organic beeswax candles, then place lemon peels around the perimeter of the candle.
Next, I light the candles, then hang several of these candles around my yard on shepherds hooks and also set them tables around where we are sitting. The heat from the candle helps expel the citrus oil from the lemon peels sending the citrus odor out into the air. It works great!
Hopefully, by using some of these tips, you will ward off many of those nasty pests and enjoy the outdoors without getting bitten during the summer.
If you would like to learn more about my organic beeswax candles and vintage canning jars or how to order them, please visit my Etsy Shop by clicking on my shop widget located in the upper right hand of this page. Or, you may simply follow this link:
Please tell us about your own natural tips to repel mosquitoes by leaving a comment below.